Five Important Tips to Help You Prepare For Your Next Rank Testing
Testing day is not only an opportunity to be evaluated, but is also a day of performance. Your instructor’s goal is to determine whether or not you have mastered sufficient material during your current rank to advance to the next level. Your goal should be to show your instructors, your parents, your family and friends that you are growing and gaining skill from your martial arts training. Many people look at testing as “game day” where you put into action all that you have been working hard to learn.
Keep in mind that instructors know you are human and may make a mistake. They also have been observing you in class and know if you usually have that hyung down cold and just flubbed it at the test because you were nervous.
There are still things you can do so you are able to put on a great performance at your next testing. Here are the top five tips to help you prepare for the big day:
1. Preparation is the key to good performance. Make sure that you practice your testing material daily for at least 15 to 30 minutes each day.
2. Eat a healthy dinner the night before, and eat a light meal –two to four hours before your testing time.
3. Get at least eight hours of sleep the night before the test.
4. Leave your worries behind: when you take your shoes off, take off your worries and challenges and leave them with your shoes in the cubbies.
5. BREATHE: it’s a common reaction to hold your breathe when you are nervous. Focus on taking a deep breath and exhaling. This allows oxygen to flow to your brain so you can remember everything! (This helps when taking school exams as well.)
By following these tips, you are sure not only to meet your own personal goals for your next testing, but also to please your instructors. Before you know it, your performance at each and every testing will blow away everyone who is watching you!